Updated Laws for Your Case- True or False Answer! FALSE! Once you have submitted your main documents (brief, petition, complaint, etc) to the court, there IS a way to update the court if you find new statutes or cases relevant to your lawsuit. Although it varies by jurisdiction, it is usually done as a Notice of Supplemental Authority, where you briefly explain what the newly discovered law or case precedent is, but do not include any additional argument about it. I.e., FL Rule 9.225